Test System Description
The System is composed by one pump with its phisical control panel and a virtual (software) management system for leakage and pressure readings. Semi automatic procedures at the end of the test guarantee water recovery in a tank in order to reuse the same for several times. Pumping system is made by an air/water booster capable of a 700 bar pressure (other conditions see below).
Pressure and test characteristics
The most common tests are usually executed on a raw material's properties basis where the induced stress reaches the 95% SMYS. Hydro-test characteristics are normally regulated by international standards i.e.:
- ASTM A530 par.20
- ASTM A999 par.21.2
Operative instructions such as Test pressure values and Holding time, as well as limitations on water temperature, chemical composition, Pressure Climbing and Descending rates, if any, are to be executed by referring to the customer’s specifications and drawings. Said instructions could include (without being limited to) the following data:
- No. of pressure measurements ► No. of Class 1 gauges calibrated by Master Gouge.
- No. of Linear measurements ► No. of extensimeter gauges.
- Fluid Temperature Measurements Before and After the Test.
- Water Chlorides ≤ 350 ppm, pH ≤ 7; temp. ≥ 7 ° C.
- Extensimeter gauge measures up to no. 04 single-axis in the indicated positions.
- Visual Surveillance with wireless cameras.
A summary of all the keys information as well as Customer’s requirements is always available in real time on the e-Workshop system for fast and easy consultation.
The pump is capable to test up to 700 Bar. Should a greater test pressure be required, then an appropriate booster will be installed.
For obvious reasons hydraulic tests are to be performed at the end of the product's manufacturing cycle and, in case of welded parts, with preliminar Non Destructive Examinations executed, as well as Heat Treated if required. Test operations are the following:
- Vessel Closing / Sealing
- Vessel filling with water
- Hydraulic test
When the vessel is open on one side, as it is for traps, then, it is necessary to close it with some removable blind flanges or caps. The Quick Opening Closures, whenever possible, can be assembled toghether or sealed by welding an ellipsoidal head. Operations to close the vessel:
- Vessel open faces have to be sealed.
- Tubes or Fittings (elbows, tees, reducers etc.) have to be closed by welded Caps or Dish ends.
- The inlet have to be connected by means of proper adaptors in order to let the pressure fill in.
During test, a big vessel without his stand can be sustained by the bridge crane or some hydraulic cranks. If two or more vessels needs to be tested, they can be arranged in someway to let simultaneous testing (i.e. 2 traps can be tested by joining one connection faced to the other or through other bypass systems). The vessels positioning is to be arranged by keeping into consideration the possible “air entrapping” during the filling-up stages which can be of a big danger because of unexpected air compression.